Roblox is one of the most popular video games on the market. By 2020, the game’s makers were claiming that more than half of children in the USA were playing it. As a ‘sandbox’ title, Roblox offers a huge amount of creative freedom: it lets players create their own gaming experiences with the Roblox Studio to build custom levels and games, which can then be shared with other players online. Roblox fosters creative thinking and enjoys a robust online community of fans.
In the guide, you’ll find tips on avoiding potential hazards such as online daters, in-app purchasing and contact with strangers.
Some Additional Parent Recommendations:
- not using phones and mobile devices at the dinner table – talking as a family is very important for development
- keeping screens out of the bedroom at bedtime
- talking as a family about keeping safe online and about cyberbullying and what children should do if they are worried
- not using phones when crossing a road or doing any other activity that requires a person’s full attention
- making sure children take a break from screens every two hours by getting up and being active
- policing their own use too – parents should give their children proper attention and quality family time and never assume they are happy for pictures to be shared
- NO tech challenge! Play some games, do a jig-saw, have a conversation!
Where can parents go for help?
Safer Internet Centre – https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/advice-centre/parents-and-carers
Connect Safely – http://www.connectsafely.org/
Common Sense Media – https://www.commonsensemedia.org/
Think U Know (part of CEOP) – https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/
Please ask Mr Fernandes at school if you need any further information or guidance.