The School Day
In the morning, St Marie’s staff will be ready at the school gates to welcome parents and children at the following times:
8.45am children are welcome to enter our school grounds and make their own way to their class.
At the end of the school day, parents of children in Reception, Year 1, Year 2 and Year 3 are welcome to enter the school grounds and meet their children outside their classes. Children in Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6 will come out of school and meet their parents at the school gates.
The school day finishes at 3.20pm.
The total time in a typical school week is 32.5 hours.
ATTENDANCE AND PUNCTUALITY
At St Marie’s, we are committed to securing excellent attendance and punctuality for all children, as we know that regular attendance and perfect punctuality has the potential to maximise the chances for personal and academic growth. Similar to regular reading, good daily attendance and punctuality has a positive impact on children’s achievement.
- Each day counts as two sessions; a morning session at school and an afternoon session at school.
- There are a total of 380 sessions per year. 190 morning and 190 afternoon sessions.
- We are at school 38 out of the 52 weeks per year. That leaves 14 weeks for you to go on holiday and family days out.
20 minutes per day
|If your child misses…||That equals…||Which is…|
|3 days per week||120 days per year||24 weeks per year|
|2 days per week||80 days per year||16 weeks per year|
|1 day per week||40 days per year||8 weeks per year|
|1 day per fortnight||20 days per year||4 weeks per year|
|If your child is just…||That equals…||Which is…|
|10 minutes late per day||50 minutes per week||nearly 1½ weeks per year|
|1 hour 40 minutes per week||over 2½ weeks per year|
|30 minutes per day||half a day per week||4 weeks per year|
|1 hour per day||1 day per week||8 weeks per year|
As a school, we have a legal duty to ensure excellent attendance for all pupils and this is something we take very seriously. Our school target is 97% attendance.
Here are a few reminders of our expectations:
- Doors open at 8.40am (Reception), 8:45am (Year 1 to Year 6) and close at 8:55am.
- Any children who arrive after 8:55am will be marked as late via the office. Children who are persistently late will be contacted by school and, where needed, referred to the LA.
- Holidays during term time will not be authorised unless for exceptional circumstances. Learners who have 10 or more unauthorised absences over a term will be referred to the LA who may decide to issue a penalty notice of up to £120.
Please be assured that it is our default position to work with families to address any attendance and punctuality concerns we have. These meetings will be supportive, practical and informative and cement the important relationship between home and school in supporting your family and child improve their attendance/punctuality.
Every minute of every school day really does matter. Please support us to ensure excellent attendance and punctuality.